Skip to main content

1965



John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
The Kinks – Kinda Kinks
The Kinks - Kink Kontroversy
The Zombies – Begin Here
The Byrds – Mr. Tambourine Man
The Byrds - Turn Turn Turn
Bob Dylan – Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Otis Redding – Otis Sings Blue
Smokey Robinson – Going To A Go-Go
The Who – Sings My Generation
Yardbirds – For Your Love
The Sonics – Here Are The Sonics
The Beatles – Help!
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
The Beau Brummels – Introducing The Beau Brummels
Martha And The Vandellas – Dance Party
Rolling Stones – Out Of Our Heads
Herb Alpert – Whipped Cream And Other Delights
The Fugs – First Album
Sun Ra – The Heliocentric Worlds Of Sun Ra
Junior Wells – Hoodoo Man Blues
Nina Simone – Pastel Blues
Barbra Streisand – My Name Is Barbra
Peter Paul And Mary – A Song Will Rise
Peter Paul And Mary - See What Tomorrow Brings
The Beach Boys – Today!
The Beach Boys – Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!)

Notes:  I look forward to listening to other mid-60s years, because this was a lot of fun. This is also the year with the most repeated artists so far; partially because the albums were generally pretty short, and partially because you can't make me choose between Help! and Rubber Soul or Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1987

U2 - The Joshua Tree (Irish rock/post punk) The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot (English psychedelic pop/psychedelic rock, alter-ego/side project of the band XTC) Pixies - Come On Pilgrim (American alternative rock, debut) R.E.M. - Document (American alternative rock) Camper Van Beethoven- Vampire Can Mating Oven (American alternative rock/psychedelic rock) Big Black - Songs About Fucking (American industrial rock, their last album) The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me (English alternative rock/ gothic rock) Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland (English gothic rock) Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (American hard rock, debut album) The Cult - Electric (English hard rock) The Smiths- Strangeways Here We Come (English indie rock, their last studio album) Faith No More - Introduce Yourself (American post-punk/funk metal, major label debut and their last album with original vocalist Chuck Mosley) Replacements- Pleased To Meet Me (American alternative rock / po...

1956 (with writeups)

I started out thinking I had actually run out of years to review, which was part of why I endeavored to actually write reviews of everything - as it turns out the slip of paper for 1956 just migrated on its own to one corner of the bag, and I have a few other years left still. I do think it's a good idea to keep up this approach the next time I pull a year out of hat, rather than the quantity over quality one I've been using. Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (1956) Through this project I’ve learned that I enjoy listening to early rock and roll albums, but that it can be a little hard to assess them because so much of what would have been considered fresh to listeners at the time is now just part of the basic foundation of a genre that’s existed for 70 decades or so. Maybe adding to this is the fact that Elvis was always a performer rather than a songwriter, and I’ve heard the original versions of a few of these songs before. Still, I can understand some of the excitement there mus...

2016 with writeups

David Bowie - ★ (Blackstar) This was David Bowie’s final album in his lifetime, and he was definitely aware that it could be when he was writing it: The lyrics are generally pretty abstract, but there’s definite recurring themes of mortality, fleeting time, and leaving a creative legacy, so they can be quite haunting. Other than that, what stands out on this album is that it has a unique sound while still being recognizably Bowie: there’s nothing completely new, but styles he’s used in the past are sort of combined in a fresh way: For example, the title track might have the overall feel of “Station to Station”, but the rhythm track is sort of drum n bass Earthling style but played by a live drummer, and there’s elements of funk and jazz in the same track. I’ve only given this a few listens so far and feel like I’m still digesting it in some ways, but it’s a really intriguing listen and probably the best album he’d made since the nineties.   They Might Be Giants - Phone Power ...