Skip to main content

1991 in Canadian rock

(Adapted from Facebook group posts)

Barenaked Ladies - Self-titled Demo (aka The Yellow Tape

I'm more of a Barenaked Ladies fan than most people I know irl in that I've heard more than 2 songs, but I wouldn't count myself as a major fan. By 1991 they had a few short demos to their name, and "the yellow tape" was the last one before moving on to proper albums. Though it's not live, this feels like what it would be like to see them in an open mic setting - acoustic and kinda tinny but the songs are well-developed and performed with energy. The only arguable low point is a questionable Public Enemy cover, and it was 1991, so the "band of white guys doing hip hop covers - WaCkY!" thing was still relatively novel I guess. 

The Tragically Hip - Road Apples / Rush - Roll The Bones

 I think it's partly just because I listened to both in a row, but I see odd similarities between Road Apples and Roll The Bones - I guess it's funky bass + alternately distorted and janky guitar + distinctive quirky vocals. The Hip definitely had the better album, but Roll The Bones is surprisingly good for being "the one where Geddy Lee raps on the title track"

Probably also could have been included: Neil Young - Weld

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2004

Kanye West – The College Dropout (American hip-hop, debut album) Franz Ferdinand – Franz Ferdinand (Scottish indie rock/dance rock, debut album) Modest Mouse – Good News for People Who like Bad News (American indie rock) Arcade Fire – Funeral (Canadian indie rock, debut) Green Day – American Idiot (American pop punk rock opera) Mastodon – Leviathan (American heavy metal, loose concept album based on Moby Dick) Bjork – MedĂșlla (Icelandic (mostly) acapella experimental pop, featuring appearances by Rahzel, Mike Patton, Robert Wyatt and others) They Might Be Giants – The Else (American alternative rock) Dillinger Escape Plan – Miss Machine (American math-metal, first album to feature Greg Puciatio on vocals) Pig Destroyer – Terrifyer (American grindcore) Ratatat – Ratatat (American electronic rock, debut album) Nightwish – Once (Finnish symphonic metal) The Killers – Hot Fuss (American dance rock, debut) Feist – Let It Die (Canadian b

What is this about?

In 2016, I wrote years from 1950 to 2000 on scraps of paper, put them in a bag, and started pulling them out when the occasion struck me - Once I picked a year, I would listen to nothing but albums from that year, stopping whenever I felt I had enough, at which point I'd either pull out another year or take a break from the process for a while. It's an entertaining way to discover new music you might not have tried otherwise, and allows you to get more of a cultural context towards whatever albums you already love from that year. I could use this basic idea for other fields of art and entertainment (books, movies, etc), but for now I'm sticking with music as it's the easiest for me to pursue. This blog is largely going to be dedicated to lists of albums I've listened to, but might also contain my thoughts on individual albums or musical trends I notice. Some additional rules I've given myself for this project, which I may or may not break in the future: Gre

1995

Radiohead - The Bends (English alternative rock) Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith (American indie folk)  Oasis - (What’s The Story) Morning Glory (English rock)  Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (American alternative rock, double album)  PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love (English alternative rock / blues rock)  Pulp - Different Class (English brit-pop / art rock)  David Bowie - Outside (English art rock / industrial rock, concept album and part one of a later abandoned trilogy, produced by Brian Eno)  Beastie Boys - Aglio e Olio (American hardcore punk, eight song, eleven minute EP)  Faith No More - King for a Day… Fool For A Life Time (American alternative metal, their only album to feature Mr. Bungle guitarist Trey Spruance)  Deftones - Adrenaline (American alternative metal / nu metal, debut album)  Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante (American experimental rock / avant garde metal)  Skunk Anansie - Paranoid & Sunburnt (British hard rock / alternative rock, debut al