Skip to main content

2015

Ben Folds - So There (American chamber pop, the singer songwriter collaborates with yMusic Ensemble on eight chamber pop songs, and with Nashville Symphony on a piano concerto)
They Might Be Giants - Glean (American alternative rock)
FFS - FFS (indie rock/art rock, collaboration between Scottish group Franz Ferdinand and American duo Sparks)
Toro y Moi - What For? (American psychedelic rock/chillwave)
They Might Be Giants- Why? (American children's music)
Adele- 25 (English pop/soul)
Kacey Musgraves- Pageant Material (American country)
The Fall - Sublingual Tablet (English garage rock/post punk)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion (Canadian dance pop)
The Casket Girls- The Piano Album (American dream pop, a full album based around piano instead of their usual use of drum machines and synthesizers)
Faith No More - Sol Invictus (Alternative metal, their first album in 18 years)
Tame Impala - Currents (Australian psychedelic pop/alternative dance music)
Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color (American roots rock / psychedelic soul)
Grimes - Art Angels (Canadian art pop)
Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon (American dream pop)
Kendrick Lamar- To Pimp A Butterfly (American hip hop)
FKA twigs - M3LL155X (English art-pop, EP)
Chris Stapleton- Traveller (American country rock, debut album)
Wilco - Star Wars (American art rock/alternative rock, originally released for free on the band's official website)
Marilyn Manson- The Pale Emperor (American gothic metal/blues rock, co-produced by film score composer Tyler Bates)
Mark Ronson - Uptown Special (English soul/funk, with appearances by Bruno Mars, Mystikal, and Kevin Parker of Tame Impala)
The Mountain Goats- Beat The Champ (American indie-folk, concept album about professional wrestling)
The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness (Canadian alternative r & b)
Belle & Sebastian- Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance (Scottish indie pop/neo-disco)
Bjork - Vulnicura (Icelandic art pop)
Sufjan Stevens- Carrie and Lowell (American indie folk, named after the artist's parents and inspired by the death of his mother)
Slayer - Repentless (American thrash metal, their final album and their only album without guitarist Jeff Hanneman)
Blur - Magic Whip (English alternative rock, their first studio album in 12 years, and the first in sixteen years with the full original lineup of the band)
Laura Marling - Short Movie (American folk rock)
Killing Joke - Pylon (English post-punk)
Ghost - Meliora (Swedish hard rock/progressive rock)
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit (Australian indie rock, debut album)


Notes:

2015 was the very latest year I put in - I actually added it this January, since 2015 was now officially 5 years in the past. It also just happened I was winding down a binge of the entire Ben Folds / Ben Folds Five discography, so So There was the link between the two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1987

U2 - The Joshua Tree (Irish rock/post punk) The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot (English psychedelic pop/psychedelic rock, alter-ego/side project of the band XTC) Pixies - Come On Pilgrim (American alternative rock, debut) R.E.M. - Document (American alternative rock) Camper Van Beethoven- Vampire Can Mating Oven (American alternative rock/psychedelic rock) Big Black - Songs About Fucking (American industrial rock, their last album) The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me (English alternative rock/ gothic rock) Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland (English gothic rock) Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (American hard rock, debut album) The Cult - Electric (English hard rock) The Smiths- Strangeways Here We Come (English indie rock, their last studio album) Faith No More - Introduce Yourself (American post-punk/funk metal, major label debut and their last album with original vocalist Chuck Mosley) Replacements- Pleased To Meet Me (American alternative rock / po...

2006

  Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit (Scottish indie pop) Ben Folds - Supersunnyspeedgraphic, the LP (American alternative rock, remixed compilation of songs previously released on EP’s, singles and soundtrack albums) B ennie Smith – All-Star Sessions (Live American electric blues) Boards of Canada - Trans Canada Highway EP (Scottish electronic music, companion EP to their previous album The Campfire Headphase, featuring four new songs and two versions of the previously released single “Dayvan Cowboy”) The Bottle Rockets – Zoysia (American alt ernative country) B roadcast – The Future Crayon (Englis h art rock, b-side and rarities compilation) C omets On Fire – Avatar (American psychedelic rock, the band’s last album ) Damone – Out Here All Night (American power pop/hard rock) Danileson – Ships (American art rock by the group previously known as Danielson Famile) D ear Leader – The Alarmist (American indie rock/ emo ) Disco Biscuits- Rocket 3 (Live album by ...

1956 (with writeups)

I started out thinking I had actually run out of years to review, which was part of why I endeavored to actually write reviews of everything - as it turns out the slip of paper for 1956 just migrated on its own to one corner of the bag, and I have a few other years left still. I do think it's a good idea to keep up this approach the next time I pull a year out of hat, rather than the quantity over quality one I've been using. Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (1956) Through this project I’ve learned that I enjoy listening to early rock and roll albums, but that it can be a little hard to assess them because so much of what would have been considered fresh to listeners at the time is now just part of the basic foundation of a genre that’s existed for 70 decades or so. Maybe adding to this is the fact that Elvis was always a performer rather than a songwriter, and I’ve heard the original versions of a few of these songs before. Still, I can understand some of the excitement there mus...