Skip to main content

1979 In Boston Rock

Someone asked me if I was reviewing things instead of just listening and publishing lists, and this is an experiment in how I might start doing that: I listen to too many albums to do in-depth (or even brief) reviews of them all, but I could do brief themed write-ups. This post is specifically about Boston-based groups - future themes within the 1979 category could include disco (and/or non-disco groups like ELO and Kiss attempting to cross over), punk (The Damned, The Clash, Ramones, The Germs), rock opera (Pink Floyd's The Wall vs. Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage could be fun), and live albums (Ramones' It's Alive and  Neil Young and Crazy Horse's Rust Never Sleeps).




The Cars – Candy O

Classic rock stations and Greatest Hits albums largely seem to favor the self-titled debut over anything else; This has a few standards (“Let’s Go”, “It’s All I Can Do”, sometimes the title track), but seems to be more of a “fan favorite” album. I attribute this to the fact that the debut was perfectly balanced between the new wave and “arena rock” aesthetics, but Candy O tips the balance ever so slightly more towards new wave and experimental influences. “Shoo Be Doo” even feels like an homage to Suicide, complete with “Frankie Teardrop”-esque screaming. Despite this, it’s still a pretty accessible record overall, and probably brought some more experimental sounds to mainstream rock listeners for the first time.

Aerosmith – Night In The Ruts

This is Aerosmith’s last album of the 70s and feels like the end of an era: Joe Perry temporarily left the group shortly after the album was completed, and it’s chronologically the last thing covered on their first Greatest Hits album. The songwriting feels just the slightest bit weaker than Toys In The Attic (or even the debut), and three of the songs are covers. Still, if you enjoy the early Aerosmith sound, you’re probably going to like about half of this, and “No Suprize” feels like it should have been the hit instead of “Remember (Walkin’ In The Sand)”.

Infliktors – “Where’d You Get That Cigarette”, The Neighborhoods – “Prettiest Girl” (45 RPM singles)

These singles make up the first four tracks of 12 Classic 45s, a compilation of singles originally released on Boston-based label Ace Of Hearts Records. These tracks are a good showcase of what more “underground” Boston rock was like at the time; not quite punk, not quite garage rock, not quite power pop, but somewhere in the middle of the Venn diagram. Infliktors were closer to punk/garage rock in terms of attitude, while Neighborhoods have the rough production (and, in “No Place Like Home”, the only track of the first four with a “punk” tempo to it), but feel like a power pop band at heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1987

U2 - The Joshua Tree (Irish rock/post punk) The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot (English psychedelic pop/psychedelic rock, alter-ego/side project of the band XTC) Pixies - Come On Pilgrim (American alternative rock, debut) R.E.M. - Document (American alternative rock) Camper Van Beethoven- Vampire Can Mating Oven (American alternative rock/psychedelic rock) Big Black - Songs About Fucking (American industrial rock, their last album) The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me (English alternative rock/ gothic rock) Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland (English gothic rock) Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (American hard rock, debut album) The Cult - Electric (English hard rock) The Smiths- Strangeways Here We Come (English indie rock, their last studio album) Faith No More - Introduce Yourself (American post-punk/funk metal, major label debut and their last album with original vocalist Chuck Mosley) Replacements- Pleased To Meet Me (American alternative rock / po...

2006

  Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit (Scottish indie pop) Ben Folds - Supersunnyspeedgraphic, the LP (American alternative rock, remixed compilation of songs previously released on EP’s, singles and soundtrack albums) B ennie Smith – All-Star Sessions (Live American electric blues) Boards of Canada - Trans Canada Highway EP (Scottish electronic music, companion EP to their previous album The Campfire Headphase, featuring four new songs and two versions of the previously released single “Dayvan Cowboy”) The Bottle Rockets – Zoysia (American alt ernative country) B roadcast – The Future Crayon (Englis h art rock, b-side and rarities compilation) C omets On Fire – Avatar (American psychedelic rock, the band’s last album ) Damone – Out Here All Night (American power pop/hard rock) Danileson – Ships (American art rock by the group previously known as Danielson Famile) D ear Leader – The Alarmist (American indie rock/ emo ) Disco Biscuits- Rocket 3 (Live album by ...

1956 (with writeups)

I started out thinking I had actually run out of years to review, which was part of why I endeavored to actually write reviews of everything - as it turns out the slip of paper for 1956 just migrated on its own to one corner of the bag, and I have a few other years left still. I do think it's a good idea to keep up this approach the next time I pull a year out of hat, rather than the quantity over quality one I've been using. Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (1956) Through this project I’ve learned that I enjoy listening to early rock and roll albums, but that it can be a little hard to assess them because so much of what would have been considered fresh to listeners at the time is now just part of the basic foundation of a genre that’s existed for 70 decades or so. Maybe adding to this is the fact that Elvis was always a performer rather than a songwriter, and I’ve heard the original versions of a few of these songs before. Still, I can understand some of the excitement there mus...